On 2/18/07, Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chuck Esterbrook wrote:
> On 2/18/07, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Mark Waser wrote:
>
> I find C++ overly complex while simultaneously lacking well known
> productivity boosters including:
> * garbage collection
> * language level bounds checking
> * contracts
> * reflection / introspection (complete and portable)
> * dynamic loading (portable)
> * dynamic invocation
>
> Having benefited from these in other languages such as Python and C#,
> I'm not going back. Ever.
> Best regards,
>
> -Chuck
You might check out D ( http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html ).  Mind
you, it's still in the quite early days, and missing a lot of libraries
... which means you need to construct interfaces to the C versions.
Still, it answers several of your objections, and has partial answers to
at least one of the others.

Thanks for the suggestion. I cranked out lots of D for a few weeks and
overall it's a nice language. In fact, I was jealous to see my "unit
testing as a language feature" idea already implemented before I had a
chance to implement it myself.

D still isn't as high level as I'd like (think Python, Ruby) and it's
evolution felt painfully slow. It's also a language unto itself,
whereas I'm fan of using .NET/mono to get quick access to existing
libraries and tools. Oh yeah, and I could never get a debugger going.
Compounding that pain: there was no stack trace output for runtime
errors like there is for C# or Python.

All my D comments come with a big grain of salt because that was in
late 2005 that I checked it out.

I checked out Boo after that which also has some nice things going for
it, but also had various deficiencies I wasn't willing to live with
(or rework the code for).

Although Cobra is young, it's usable (I rewrote the compiler in Cobra
last fall) and not surprisingly, I'm especially happy it's choices in
various areas. :-)

It's full steam ahead. Okay, "part-time steam-ahead" since it's not my day job.

-Chuck