On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Richard Loosemore wrote:

) Bo Morgan wrote:
) > On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Richard Loosemore wrote:
) >
) > In regard to your comments about complexity theory: from what I understand,
) > it is primarily about taking simple physics models and trying to explain
) > complicated datasets by recognizing these simple models.  These simple
) > "complexity theory" patterns can be found in complicated datasets for the
) > purpose of inference, but do they get us closer to human thought?
)
) Uh, no:  this is a misunderstanding of what complexity is about.  The point of
) complexity is that some types of (extremely nonlinear) systems can show
) interesting regularities in high-level descriptions of their behavior, but [it
) has been postulated that] there is no tractable theory that will ever be able
) to relate the observed high-level regularities to the low-level mechanisms
) that drive the system.  The high level behavior is not random, but you cannot
) explain it using the kind of analytic approaches that work with simple [sic]
) physical systems.
)
) This is a huge topic, and I think we're talking past each other:  you may want
) to go read up on it (Mitchell Waldrop's book is a good, though non-technical
) introduction to the idea).

Okay.  Thanks for the pointer.  I'm very interested in simple and easily
understood ideas. :)  They make easy-to-understand theories.

) > Do they tell us what grief is doing when a loved one dies?
) > Do these inference system tell us why we get depressed when we keep
) > failing to accomplish our goals?
) > Do they give a model for understanding why we feel proud when we are
) > encouraged by our parents?
) >
) > These questions are trying to get at some of the most powerful thought
) > processes in humans.
)
) If you are attacking the ability of "simple logical inference systems" to
) cover these topics, I kind of agree with you.  But you are diving into some
) very complicated, high-level stuff there.  Nothing wrong with that in
) principle, but these are deep waters.  Your examples are all about the
) motivational/emotional system.  I have many ideas about how that is
) implemented, so you can rest assured that I, at least, am not ignoring them.
) (And, again: I *am* taking a complex systems approach).
)
) Can't speak for anyone else, though.
)
)
) Richard Loosemore
)
) -----
) To unsubscribe or change your options, please go to:
) http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303
)