The second scary bit, which I didn't mention above, is made clear in the
blog post from the company CEO, Donna Dubinsky:

Why do we offer you a license without deployment rights? Well, although we
are very excited about the ultimate applications of this technology, we feel
it is too early to expect commercial class applications. We do not want to
mislead you as to the state of the technology.

Perhaps we're wrong! If you find yourself closer to a commercial
application than we expect, let us know. We promise that we'll speed up our
commercial licensing plans!!

which is from http://www.numenta.com/for-developers/blog.php

In other words: Go make cool stuff with our technology, however if you are
about
to make lots of money, please let us know and we will then calculate how
much
it is going to cost you for a licence.

There is no way I'd ever agree to terms like that, especially given that
they cover not
just code, but also all business ideas etc. related to this technology.

Shane