There's a good chance this topic has been discussed before, so feel
free to point the way if that's the case. It's certainly been touched
on since I joined the list, but I wanted to break it out for its own
sake of discussion.

Background:

There is a contest that implements the Turing Test for AI called the
Loebner Prize:
http://www.loebner.net/Prizef/loebner-prize.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loebner_prize

It has plenty of controversy and seems to be shunned by most of the AI
community. See:
http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/feature/2003/02/26/loebner_part_one/index.html
http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/feature/2003/02/27/loebner_part_2/index.html
And briefly discussed on this list here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/agi@v2.listbox.com/msg01155.html

On the one hand, I respect that someone set up a contest modeled after
the Turing Test. On the other hand, there are legitimate criticisms of
it. In particular, an AI may be an AGI but not be capable of passing
the Turing Test due to having subhuman processing power and/or a lack
of human experience and/or primitive language skills. Not recognizing
such an AGI would be unfortunate since having a "baby" AGI would be
pretty damn exciting!

Also, there are aspects of AI that would be interesting to test such
as "getting along" in a spatial+temporal environment. The Turing Test
can only cover these things indirectly.

Still the Turing Test *is* a neat invention and it will certainly be
interesting to see what year it is passed.

But the real topic is this:

*** Can we create an analogous test for identifying Baby AGI? ***

In an email today, Josh mentioned "demonstrate adaptiveness,
robustness, learning, and reflective control". Ben speaks of
"achieving complex goals in complex environments." I like these
definitions and I think the test (or series of tests) would be looking
for things like that.

So more specifically:

Can we set up a series of tests that when passed would yield a high
probability that an AI is a baby AGI?

Is someone already working on this?

Is this worth working on now or are we so far off that it would be premature?

For those that are implementing AGI, to what extent have you already
set up such tests for your system? And what form do those tests take?

-Chuck