On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 09:12:55AM -0400, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> It is a trite point, but I can't help repeating that, given how very
> little we know about the
> brain's deeper workings, these estimates of the brain's computational

Not to belabor the point, but the objections about how little we
know about neuroscience typically come from AI folks, who, frankly
are not particularly versed in the matter. So I'd take my Koch or my
Markram over Kurzweil any time.

> and memory capability
> are all kinda semi-useless...

My point precisely. People love throwing around such numbers,
so I threw some in which are a bit at the high range, to see
whether they will be dismissed off hand. People love to quote
Moore, so why this sudden lack of "we only need X doublings
to go there"? Mightily curious.

> I think that brain-inspired AGI may become very interesting in 5-20
> years once neuroscience
> has advanced substantially.  At that point quantitative estimates of

If you have the structure, you can crunch things from first principles.
At the low level of theory the problem is well-understood. Do you have
a well-understood low-level theory of generic AI? Or *any* theory at
all?

> neural computing power
> may also be meaningful!

> >http://www.amazon.com/Biophysics-Computation-Information-Computational-Neuroscience/dp/0195181999/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7341035-9436725?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173876708&sr=8-1
> >http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0262681080/ref=s9_asin_image_2/104-7341035-9436725

I would really recommend that as many list subscribers who can
afford the time (they're cheap) to read these two books.