Kevin Cramer wrote:
I tested this and it is very very poor at invariant recognition.  I am
surprised they released this given how bad it actually is.  As an example I
drew a small "A" in the bottom left corner of their draw area.  The program
returns the top 5 guesses on what you drew.  The letter A was not even in
the top 5, much less being the first best guess...

Back to the drawing board for this fundamental problem that no one has
solved...including anyone on this list.  And I can say with certainty that
until it is that AGI will not come to pass.

I agree that any reasonably powerful AGI that has been given visual sensors since its childhood will be able to solve this kind of visual invariant recognition problem easily.

However, I wouldn't say that this is a prerequisite for human-level AGI: some AGI's could simply not be aware of visual stimuli, existing e.g. in a world of mathematics or quantum-level data, etc.

Novamente for example doesn't deal with low-level vision....

I would certainly expect that a mature Novamente system would be able to easily solve this kind of invariant recognition problem. However, just because a human toddler can solve this sort of problem easily, doesn't mean a "toddler" level AGI should be able to solve it equally easily. Different specific modalities will come more naturally to different intelligences, and humans are particularly visual in focus...

-- Ben