David Clark writes:

Everyone on this list is quite different.

It would be interesting to see what basic interests and views the members of this list hold. For a few people, published works answer this pretty clearly but that's not true for most list members.

I'll start.

I'm a dilettante. I am most interested in spending my time wondering how small a chunk of "code" could implement AGI. I believe that the physical and cultural structure of a human being's environment provide the vast majority of the complexity of a human mind, and there may be a rather small amount of complexity (necessary "code") needed to leverage that environment. I'm interested in figuring out exactly what this small core would need to do.

I guess something like 10^16 operations working on 10^16 bits of information is roughly what's required for "human equivalence", given operations and bits defined roughly in current computer terms. I think those numbers are just about average for those interested in AGI who have made public guesses. Since there are still so many orders of magnitude between any hardware I can get my hands on and the amount required, I'm content to just think about things for now and don't feel a big need to write lots of code right now.

I do think it is crucial for us to build AGI before it can run at human equivalence in real-time, so we can understand it and hopefully avoid scenarios like Yudkowski describes where self-improvement rapidly spirals out of control. If it turns out that a Commodore 64, Pentium4-based pc, or BlueGene are already powerful enough for AGI, we could be in trouble.

What about the rest of you, what are your interests?