On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 04:46:59PM +0200, Jean-Paul Van Belle wrote:

>    Some random thoughts.
>
>    Any RAM location can link to any other RAM location so there are more
>    interconnects.

Not so fast. Memory bandwidth is very limited (~20 GByte/s current,
GDDR3/GPUs are much better, agreed), and the access
pattern is not flat. Predictable and local accesses are preferred,
whereas worst case can be as low as 5% of advertised peak.

The difference between CPU speed and memory bandwidth growth
is a linear semi-log plot, too.

However, the limited fan-out factors are not a problem with
active media and even simple packet-switched signalling mesh.
Embedded DRAM, wide bus ALU (with in-register parallelism)
meshed up with a packet-switched signalling fabric is the bee's
knees -- but you can't buy these yet.

>    The structure of RAM can be described very succintly.

RAM alone doesn't compute. Try hardware CAs. These are pretty
regular, too, and actually pack a lot of punch, especially in 3d.
(In fact, the best possible classical computational substrate is
a molecular-cell CA).

>    A CPU has 800 million transistors - a much more generous instruction
>    set than our brain.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this. I'm hazarding
that you yourself don't, either.