----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Loosemore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] The Picture Tree

Mike,

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply.

I'm going to have to be brief because of time pressure, alas.

My overall feeling is that there is an important nugget of truth beneath the surface of what you say, but I think that when you develop the idea further, you might find yourself drifting away from the strict use of the "picture" idea (which seems very important to your position right now, but I think you might end up lessening its importance later), and move the concept towards a "representations" or "mental models" idea instead.

"PICTURE" is v. important & v. deliberately chosen to force you, the reader, to realise that you cannot understand that which you cannot "see" or literally "make sense of". I THINK YOU SHOULD BEAR IN MIND WHEN CONSIDERING THESE IDEAS THAT THE RESISTANCE TO THE IMPORTANCE OF IMAGES IS SIMPLY ENORMOUS. THE LITERATE MIND BELIEVES THAT THOUGHT AND RATIONALITY ARE LARGELY A MATTER OF THE 3 R'S - OF USING LANGUAGE PLUS MATHS/ NUMBERS/ALGEBRA - AND IMAGES OF ALL KINDS ARE AN EXTRA. THE SERIOUS THINKING AND REPRESENTATION GETS DONE SYMBOLICALLY.

EVERYWHERE IN OUR CULTURE BATTLES ARE CURRENTLY RAGING BETWEEN THE LITERATE AND THE COMING MULTIMEDIATE MIND - BETWEEN, FOR EXAMPLE, SYMBOLIC AI AND EMBODIED, SITUATED ROBOTICS, BETWEEN RATIONAL, COGNITIVE SCIENCE AND EMBODIED COGNITION, RATIONAL PHILOSOPHY AND EMBODIED PHILOSOPHY.
THE IMAGERY DEBATE IS ONE MORE EXAMPLE OF THAT BATTLE.

THE LITERATE MENTALITY WILL SIMPLY BE SWEPT AWAY WITHIN THE NEXT DECADE. IT'S A NONSENSE.

NOTE: IT'S NOT A MATTER HERE OF EITHER/OR - OF GRAPHICS AND IMAGES, FOR EXAMPLE, BEING MORE IMPORTANT THAN SYMBOLS - THAT WOULD BE A NONSENSE TOO.

THE BRAIN AND OUR ENTIRE CULTURE, I AM SUGGESTING, ARE AN INTERDEPENDENT PICTURE TREE. YOU CAN NO MORE HAVE ABSTRACT WITHOUT CONCRETE, OR VICE VERSA, THAN YOU CAN HAVE GENERALISATIONS WITHOUT PARTICULARISATIONS - IF YOU ARE TO UNDERSTAND THE WORLD, AND REPRESENTATIONS OF THE WORLD.

The reason I say this is that you need a very abstract notion of "picture" to get some aspects of the idea to work. For example, when you say:

> How does the brain know that:
>
> "The man climbed the penny "
>
> is nonsense? Because it will literally draw a picture in graphics of a
> man trying to climb a penny - and from the graphics deduce that
> that is impossible.

... can you really say that it is the *graphic* that determines the impossibility? Is it the iumpossibiility of the attempt to draw that graphic, that leads to the "impossible" verdict? Now that doesn't seem quite right, because I can draw at least two images of a person climbing a penny, both of which work, in a way (even though they are peculiar).

I THINK THAT WAS MY POINT. THE ATTEMPT TO DRAW A MAN CLIMBING A PENNY WILL PRODUCE A) "IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, IF IT'S A NORMAL PENNY" AND B) BUT IT MIGHT BE AN OUTSIZE PENNY.

THE EXACT DETAILS OF HOW THE BRAIN MIGHT PROCEED TO DRAW THE SCENE HERE ARE OBVIOUSLY OPEN TO DEBATE . IT MIGHT ONLY NEED TO START PUTTING A MAN BESIDE A PENNY TO SEE THE IMPOSSIBILITY AND NOT LITERALLY NEED TO GO TO THE TROUBLE OF DRAWING THE "CLIMBING." ON THE OTHER HAND, (THINKING ABOUT IT), BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. WHY NOT DRAW THE WHOLE SCENE? THE BRAIN CERTAINLY HAS THE CAPACITY TO DO THIS AND MANY VASTLY MORE ARDUOUS VISUAL TASKS ON THE FLY.

What I am trying to get at is that what sounds more plausible is that the person builds some kind of mental model of the situation, and the components of this model are well-connected enough that *their* attempts to form a coherent structure tells the rest of the brain that something is not quite right with the sentence. Do those mental model components make something that should be described as an image, or a picture? I am not so sure: they really do not have to go all the way down to an internal canvas on which lines are positioned (simply no need for them to get that specific: they can do their job without the lines), so perhaps it would not be right to call them a 'picture'.

WHY DON'T YOU SPELL OUT OR DRAW OUT WHAT YOU MEAN BY THIS MENTAL MODEL BUSINESS? I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN - BECAUSE, AS PER MY THEORY, I LITERALLY CAN'T "SEE" WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. AND I SUSPECT THAT IF WE DID A SURVEY OTHERS WOULD SIMILARLY HAVE DIFFICULTY UNDERSTANDING YOUR SUGGESTIONS.

(YOU UNDERSTAND HERE, I HOPE, THAT I'M NOT IN ANY WAY TRYING TO GET AT YOU, BUT MERELY TO REINFORCE MY THEORY!).

The way I am pushing your idea is in the direction of a cluster of ideas that are common to the work of me, and people like Phil Johnson-Laird (his book Mental Models was about how people build models when trying to do reasoning tasks, among other things) and Doug Hofstadter (especially see his cute little paper called "Jumbo" which is in the Fluid Analogies book).

These ideas are also closely related to many very general ideas about internal representation: you could stretch them to cover Goertzel's work, and probably everyone else building a system on this list! The idea that a mental representation is built, then tested in some way to make deductions about the outside world, is a very common one.

What is interesting about your idea is a subtle background hint of simultaneous constraint satisfaction (common to Hofstadter, me, many people in the "parallel distributed processing" school of thought, etc). That part I like.

Be good if you could write your ideas up in essay form.

[Be good if you could do that yourself Loosemore.  Okay, okay.  ;-) ]

Richard Loosemore.

Mike Tintner wrote:
Richard,

My apologies for coming on too strong.

Re psychosemiotics, if there were such a science, yes, it would probably come under cognitive psychology. Is there a need for such a science? Yes. See my "picture theory" below. But regardless of that, there is an obvious need to look at human sign systems and media as a totality, what they reflect about the brain's and human system's needs to apprehend the world, how they change the human nervous system, and how they will evolve in future - human sign systems are manifestly continuously evolving. It should be obvious that such a science would fit in a timely way with the new multimedia age and the new multimedia (as opposed to literate) mentality (but I can expand on that another time).

Re Kosslyn, etc, I presume what you are really after is: what am I personally saying, if anything, that is different from Kosslyn etc and/or of any interest? Well, I am saying something v. different, and if nothing else, it serves to place the imagery debate in context.

(Thanks BTW for all the links - which I found stimulating).

What my "picture tree" theory - to put it EXTREMELY briefly -  says is :

the brain continually tries to process all incoming info. on at least 3 levels of abstractness/ concreteness simultaneously - as:

*symbols - totally abstract, non-referential signs like words and numbers
*graphics - which are principally the OUTLINES of objects - exemplified by children's drawings, icons, cartoons, maps, et *images - which, as I use the word, are more detailed representations of objects - exemplified by photos, realistic drawings, paintings, statues - but also involve all sensory forms not just visual

(obviously there is a difference between the brain's internal picture tree, with its internal symbols, graphics & images, and the external cultural forms of them).

The brain literally tries to "make sense" of all incoming info. - the primary object being to test the truth of all info.

So when the brain reads words, it continually tries to convert them into graphics and images - although much or all of this last activity may be taking place UNCONSCIOUSLY.

How does the brain know that:

"The man climbed the penny "

is nonsense? Because it will literally draw a picture in graphics of a man trying to climb a penny - and from the graphics deduce that that is impossible - although it will also be able to say in some instances: "well, maybe if it were a specially built outsize penny"... and the way it will arrive at that is by graphically drawing an outsize penny, and concluding from both graphics and images, that that is a physical though unusual possibility.

The brain's graphics are principally dynamic, metamorphic (flexible shape) graphics - not so much still graphics. The brain then I am suggesting is continually drawing composite, dynamic graphic pictures to make sense of sentences, and, where relevant, testing them against the still more detailed images of its actual experience. (Remember that the prime form that our sensory images of the world take are moving "VIDEOS" not still images - you can see why I find Hawkins interesting).

What is distinctive, and unquestionably important about this theory, is that it introduces a new category of signs. Both semiotics and the traditional psychological/philosophical debates divide signs into two : symbols vs icons or images. I'm pointing out what is obvious - that "graphics" should be treated separately, and form an important separate category of sign systems.

What's also distinctive about it is that it connects up how the brain works with the great many different external sign systems that humans have produced and use - there has to be value in that.

The imagery debate is v. different to all this - it's about in what form images are laid down in the brain, and what happens when we consciously form mental images, and imagine composite scenes and scenarios.

There is an obvious longstanding philosophical debate that forms a background to the imagery debate, about whether symbols are grounded in images, but it's all very general.

What I'm proposing is an overall, far more comprehensive theory of how the brain continuously processes information - the brain's "picture tree". And it has major consequences and applications. For example, putting this v. simplistically, it says that those subjects which humans find most difficult to understand and confusing, are precisely those subjects like quantum mechanics, philosophy, or genetics which are most abstract and literally "do not make sense" as presented - are not adequately illustrated.

The theory also has applications to AGI - if it's correct, it's saying that the central source of human adaptivity is the use of graphics (backed by images). It's mainly although by no means exclusively graphics that enable the human brain to connect just about anything to anything else. (Plato said "Let no one without geometry enter here" - I'm suggesting that "no one without graphics" (of which geometry is only one form) can enter AGI). How can the brain think of a virtual infinity of ways to "move" a given object? Probably because it first draws "move" as something like a moving arrow. And then it can metamorphically convert that arrow into, and associate it with, an infinite variety of more detailed graphic forms of movement like "hammer", "poke", "shovel", "nail", etc. etc. ad infinitum.

(In case you are interested, a couple of points about the imagery debate from a brief reading:

*propositions - a still graphic may not be, but a MOVING graphic or image IS a proposition - it says, for example, this object is moving here - the cat is sitting on the mat - has anyone pointed this out?

*storing info - the whole nodes thing strikes me as v. unlikely; I would argue that a graphic or image is a supremely more efficient way to store info. - a standard map, for example, does not just contain info. say about how four or five towns are geographically related to each other, it tells you how every single point on that map is related to every other point - it enables the planning of a virtual infinity of journeys - I don't see how that info can be represented symbolically/ formulaically - do you? Ditto, an image of a face enables you to compare every part of that face to every other part - I don't see how all those comparisons can be contained in symbolic form.

*homunculus - I find the fear re a homunculus weird for this reason - every image CONTAINS the viewer - when you look at a photo of a chair or a mountain, that photo doesn't just show you the chair, it tells you how far you the viewer are from it, and at what angle you are looking at it - has this point been made? (Consciousness in other words is an "itheatre" in which every sensory image is framed by the self viewing or sensing it).

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;