On 5/11/07, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I should add that part of the creative challenge of developing an
integrational structure for AGI is to develop one that will allow CREATIVE
minds to work together - and not just "hacks" a la Wikip. - and enable
them
to integrate whole sets of major new inventions and innovations.

Yes, for those of us taking "integrative" approaches to AGI design, that is
one of the initial challenges faced in creating an AI architecture.

I believe the Novamente design satisfies this requirement quite well.

There are many interrelated key aspects here, e.g.:

-- What kind of main memory structures do the different modules utilize
-- What facilities are there for adding new, specialized memory structures
-- What facilities are there for scheduling operations
-- Coordination of different processes for moving stuff in and out of memory
-- Distributed processing: coordinated use of multiple machines

The Webmind design that I worked on before Novamente enabled
easy and flexible integration of diverse AI modules, addressing
all these issues ... but lacked adequate
computational efficiency in terms of its use of memory and threading.
Novamente does not have those problems.

The main deficiencies we've had in Novamente regarding integration
of diverse AI methods
have actually been at the low-level API level: the prior API for the core
system was too complex and sort of a pain to work with in spite of its
excellent conceptual properties.  It is now
being re-vamped (without changing much of the underlying system,
mostly just on the interface level).

The other key point to be grokked is that you can't just throw a bunch
of clever AI modules together and hope that the whole will come out
more than the sum of the parts. Often as not, if you do this, the whole
will come out LESS than the sum of the parts.  The parts need to be
combined with careful theoretical attention paid to the emergent effects
that will arise from putting those particular parts together, in the context
of a system operating in a particular environment.

-- Ben G