Hm.  Memory may be tricking me.

I did a deeper scan of my mind, and found that the only memory I actually have is that someone at the conference said that they saw I wasn't in the room that morning, and then looked around to see if there was a bomb.

I have no memory of the "fire" thing one way or the other, but it sounds like a plausible distortion of the first event after a few repetitions. Or maybe the intended meaning is that, if I saw a fire in a room, I would leave the room first to make sure of my own safety, and then shout "Fire!" to warn everyone else? If so, I still don't remember saying that, but it doesn't have the same quality of being the first to defect in an iterated prisoner's dilemma - which is the main thing I feel I need to emphasize heavily that I will not do; no, not even as a joke, because talking about defection encourages people to defect, and I won't be the first to talk about it, either.

So I guess the moral is that I shouldn't toss around the word "absolutely" - even when the point needs some heavy moral emphasis - about events so far in the past.