From: "J Storrs Hall, PhD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
On Tuesday 12 June 2007 11:24:16 am David Clark wrote:
... What if models of how the world works
could be coded by "symbol grounded" humans so that, as the AGI learned,
it
could test it's theories and assumptions on these models without
necessarily
actually having a direct connection to the real world?  Would this symbol
grounding merry-go-round still apply?

Nope, that would work fine. So would an oracle that came up with the same
program by magic (or a Solomonoff machine that did it by exhaustive
search).
The key is having a valid model (i.e. one that correctly predicts the
world),
not howyou happened to get the model.

That said, the less contact you have with the real world, the harder it is
come up with useful models :-)

That's certainly true, but only up to a certain level. A system
that has been "grounded" by humans would have problems to reason
with sensorimotor activities, but would be ok to reason in abstract
ways. Besides, if we think of this system not as an autonomous agent,
but as a cooperative helper to a human (kind of a "creative assistant"),
it can be seen as a very useful piece of machinery. I really don't
know if this will fit well in this world of ours, where google-like
things operate on a highly distributed fashion, but I still believe
that there's a competitive advantage of having our own "personal
assistant", with "local knowledge bases" that helps us coming up with
good ideas. A system such as this could be seen as "interestingly
intelligent and useful" and still be eons from "human-like" intelligence.
A failure, if seen from traditional AI perspective, but an important
step towards achieving it.

Sergio Navega.

Josh

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;