The simple intuition from evolution in the wild doesn't apply here, though. If
I'm a creature in most of life's history with a superior mutation, the fact
that there are lots of others of my kind with inferior ones doesn't hurt
me -- in fact it helps, since they make worse competitors. But on the
internet, there are intelligent creatures gunning for you, and a virus or
worm lives mostly by stealth. Thus your stupider siblings are likely to give
your game away to people your improvement might otherwise have fooled.

And detrimental mutations greatly outnumber beneficial ones.