OK. I've read the paper, and don't see where I've made any errors. It looks to me as if NARS can be modeled by a prototype based language with operators for "is an ancestor of" and "is a descendant of". I do have trouble with the language terms that you use, though admittedly they appear to be standard for logicians (to the extent that I'm familiar with their dialect). That might well not be a good implementation, but it appears to be a reasonable model.

To me a model can well be dynamic and experience based. In fact I wouldn't consider a model very intelligent if it didn't either itself adapt itself to experience, or it weren't embedded in a matrix which adapted it to experiences. (This doesn't seem to be quite the same meaning that you use for model. Your separation of the rules of inference, the rational faculty, and the model as a fixed and unchanging condition don't match my use of the term. I might pull out the "rules of inference" as separate pieces and stick them into a datafile, but datafiles can be changed, if anything, more readily than programs...and programs are readily changeable. To me it appears clear that much of the language would need to be interpretive rather than compiled. One should pre-compile what one can for the sake of efficiency, but with the knowledge that this sacrifices flexibility for speed.

I still find that I am forced to interpret the inheritance relationship as a "is a child of" relationship. And I find the idea of continually calculating the powerset of inheritance relationships unappealing. There may not be a better way, but if there isn't, than AGI can't move forwards without vastly more powerful machines. Probably, however, the calculations could be shortcut by increasing the local storage a bit. If each "node" maintained a list of parents and children, and a count of descendants and ancestors it might suffice. This would increase storage requirements, but drastically cut calculation and still enable the calculation of confidence. Updating the counts could be saved for dreamtime. This would imply that during the early part of learning sleep would be a frequent necessity...but it should become less necessary as the ratio of extant knowledge to new knowledge learned increased. (Note that in this case the amount of new knowledge would be a measured quantity, not an arbitrary constant.)

I do feel that the limited sensory modality of the environment (i.e., reading the keyboard) makes AGI unlikely to be feasible. It seems to me that one of the necessary components of true intelligence is integrating multi-modal sensory experience. This doesn't necessarily mean vision and touch, but SOMETHING. As such I can see NARS (or some similar system) as a component of an AGI, but not as a core component (if such exists). OTOH, it might develop into something that would exhibit consciousness. But note that consciousness appears to be primarily an evaluative function rather than a decision making component. It logs and evaluates decisions that have been made, and maintains a delusion that it made them, but they are actually made by other processes, whose nature is less obvious. (It may not actually evaluate them, but I haven't heard of any evidence to justify denying that, and it's certainly a good delusion. Still, were I to wager, I'd wager that it was basically a logging function, and that the evaluations were also made by other processes.) Consciousness appears to have developed to handle those functions that required serialization...and when language came along, it appeared in consciousness, because the limited bandwidth available necessitated serial conversion.

Pei Wang wrote:
Charles,

I fully understand your response --- it is typical when people
interpret NARS according to their ideas about how a formal logic
should be understood.

But NARS is VERY different. Especially, it uses a special semantics,
which defines "truth" and "meaning" in a way that is fundamentally
different from model-theoretic semantics (which is implicitly assumed
in your comments everywhere), and I believe is closer to how "truth"
and "meaning" are treated in natural languages (so you may end up like
it).

As Mark suggested, you may want to do some reading first (such as
http://nars.wang.googlepages.com/wang.semantics.pdf), and after that
the discussion will be much more fruitful and efficient. I'm sorry
that I don't have a shorter explanation to the related issues.

Pei