To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: [agi] Human memory and number of synapses

Vlad et al,

Slightly O/T - while you guys are arguing about how much info the brain stores and processes...

What I'd like is a mathematical estimate of why a graphic or image (or any form of physical map) is a vastly - if not infinitely - more efficient way to store information than a set of symbols.

Take an outline map of a country, with points for the towns. That map contains a practically endless amount of info about the relationships between all the towns and every point in the country - about how distant they all are from each other - and therefore about every possible travel route across the country.

Now try expressing that info as a set of symbolic relationships - London to York 300 Miles, London to Oxford 60 Miles, London to Cardiff 200 miles - and so on and on.

If you think just about the ink or whatever substrate is used to write the info, the map is vastly more efficient.

And all this is important, because it will affect estimates of what brains and computers can do. A great deal of the brain's memory is stored, I suggest, in the form of maps of one kind or other. (No computer can yet store and read a map as we do, can it?)

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;