Edward W. Porter wrote:
As Ben suggests, clearly Granger’s title claims to much. At best the article suggests what may be some important aspects of the computational architecture of the human brain, not anything approaching a complete instruction set. But as I implied in my last post to Richard Loosemore, you have to forgive academics for aggressive marketing, because “publish or perish” seems to have replaced by “market or perish.”

But in my time as a cognitive scientist, I have had to read through hundreds (perhaps thousands) of papers in which the author(s) made wild claims that really amounted to nothing more than aggressive marketing designed to further their career. I have had large chunks of my time wasted by this self-aggrandisement.

It took me at least five years of struggle to get to the point where I could start to have the confidence to call a spade a spade, and dismiss stuff that looked like rubbish.

Now, you say "we have to forgive academics" for doing this?  The hell we do.

If I see garbage being peddled as if it were science, I will call it garbage.

Richard Loosemore.