--- Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Matt: Semantic models learn associations by proximity in the training text.
> The
> degree to which you associate "snake" and "rope" depends on how often these
> words appear near each other
>
> Correct me - but it's the old, old problem here, isn't it? Those semantic
> models/programs  won't be able to form any *new* analogies, will they? Or
> understand newly minted analogies in texts?  And I'm v. dubious about their
> powers to even form valid associations of much value in the ways you
> describe from existing texts.
>
> You're saying that there's a semantic model/program that can answer, if
> asked,:
> "yes - 'snake, chain, rope, spaghetti strand'  is a legitimate/ valid series
> of associations"/ "yes, they fit together"  (based on previous textual
> analysis) ?

Yes, because each adjacent pair of words has a high frequency of co-occurrence
in a corpus of training text.

> or: " the odd one out in 'snake/ chain/ cigarette/ rope"  is 'cigarette'"?

Yes, because "cigarette" does not have a high co-occurrence with the other
words.

> I have yet to find or be given a single useful analogy drawn by computers
> (despite asking many times). The only kind of analogy I can remember here is
> Ed, I think,  pointing to Hofstader's analogies along the lines of  "xxyy"
> is  like "xxxxyyyy".  Not exactly a big deal. No doubt there must be more,
> but my impression is that in general computers are still pathetic here.

This simplistic vector space model I described has been used to pass the word
analogy section of the SAT exams.  See:

Turney, P., Human Level Performance on Word Analogy Questions by Latent
Relational Analysis (2004), National Research Council of Canada,
http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/iit-publications-iti/docs/NRC-47422.pdf

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]