My problem with both these definitions (and the one underpinning
AIXI), is that they either don't define the word problem well or
define it in a limited way.

For example AIXI defines it as the solution of a problem as finding a
function that transforms an input to an output. No mention of having
the ability to solve the problem of creating energy efficient internal
programs. It has no hope of solving problems involving mapping the
input to internal states, as we do when we can learn to control our
brain waves to defeat invading hordes of blocky aliens.[1]

My definition of an intelligence would be something like, "A system
that can *potentially* use any and all information it comes across in
order to change itself to the correct state". If you are designing a
system to interact with humans the correct state is obviously one that
can communicate with humans. But an intelligent robot may move most of
its programming to a store, robbing itself of lots of problem solving
ability temporarily, while it is in transit to mars to save energy for
maneuvering, if that is the correct state for it to be in.

  Will Pearson
[1]http://news-info.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/7800.html