--- Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2008 5:32 AM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Software correctness is undecidable -- the halting problem reduces to it.
> > Computer security isn't going to be magically solved by AGI.  The problem
> will
> > actually get worse, because complex systems are harder to get right.
> >

> Computer security can be solved by more robust rights management and
> by avoiding bugs that lead to security vulnerabilities. AGI can help
> with both.

Security tools are double edged swords.  The knowledge required to protect
against attacks is the same as the knowledge required to launch attacks.  AGI
just continues the arms race.  We will have smarter intrusion detection
systems and smarter intruders.  If you look at number of attacks per year, it
is clear we are going in the wrong direction.

> Software correctness IS decidable: you just don't write general
> algorithms, you write algorithms that satisfy your requirements.
> Fundamental problem with software correctness is that you can forget
> about many requirements or get requirements wrong. Practical problem
> with software correctness is that it's very costly to actually check
> correctness, and it gets worse as requirements and software in
> question get more complex. These problems can be dealt with if we have
> fast (=cheap) and competent general intelligence.

Consider the following subset of possible requirements: the program is correct
if and only if it halts.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]