Mike Tintner wrote:

I believe we are thinking machines and not in any way magical. I just believe that our thinking works on different mechanistic/ computational principles to those of programs - which someone apart from me, surely should at least question. It has to be a serious *possibility* that programs equal narrow AI, and are the wrong paradigm for AGI.

Mike,

You are repeating a statement that you have made before (and which I have addressed before), and this is just going to cause great confusion again.

When you say "I just believe that our thinking works on different mechanistic/ computational principles to those of programs" you are using the word "programs" in a misleading way.

"Programs" in general are capable of implementing any type of AI whatsoever, ranging from the most stupid-brained AI that you hate, to the most flexible, creative, unpredictable (etc) AI that you would like to see.

What you are really trying to say is that intelligence is not captured by a certain type of rigid, pure symbol-processing AI. The key phrase is "symbol-processing", which has connotations a certain approach to the representation of knowledge.

The way you phrase your position, you look like one of the "computers cannot do intelligence because intelligence is not COMPUTATION" crowd. These people believe that there is something magical and non-computational about thought.

You are not the first person to complain about the problems associated with the narrow symbol-processing approach, not by a long way: many of the experts on this list already bought that message decades ago.

So: I already agree that intelligence is not going to happen that way! But every time you say "intelligence is more than just programs" I can only shake my head and watch while many other people on this list take your words the wrong way and a huge, pointless debate kicks off again.

Richard Loosemore