It's worth noting in this connection that once you get up to the level of
mammals, everything is very high compliance, low stiffness, mostly serial
joint architecture (no natural Stewart platforms, although you can of course
grab something with two hands if need be) typically with significant energy
storage in the power train (i.e. springs). This means that the control has to
be fully Newtonian, something most commercial robotics haven't gotten up to
yet.

I think that state of the art is just now getting to dynamically-stable-only
biped walkers. I've seen a couple of articles in the past year, but it
certainly isn't widespread, and it remains to be seen how real.

Josh