One thing worth noticing is that it looks like this effect only works
provided that words with three letters or fewer are not garbled.  I
think what this shows is that there is a statistical element to
reading.  So provided that the beginning and ending characters are
correct, and what's in between contains some of the characters that
you would expect to find in that word you can still read it.