Mike,

On 5/14/08, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  This is more or less where I came into this group. You've picked a, if
> not the, classic AGI problem. The problem that distinguishes it from narrow
> AI. Problematic, no right answer. And every option could often be wrong. I
> tried to open a similar problem for discussion way back - how do you invest
> in the stockmarket right now? There are an infinity of such problems.

At least we are on the same page.

> The problem with such problems is that you can''t program for them.

But ... THAT is exactly what my Dr. Eliza program was intended to address!!!

 Why?

YES - let's dive into the presumptions that I believe are leading AGI
astray.

 Because

 1) neither you nor your AGI if you have one, know the right answer.

Is the operative word here "the" or "right" or "answer"?

a) "the" is probably a misdirection, because there are probably
several "right" answers.

b) "right" has many shades of gray, e.g. cures are greatly preferred to
treatments, and some cures/treatments are better than others. Often/usually
there is more concern for the costs of being wrong than for the benefit of
being correct.

c) "answer" implies that the AGI is making the decision, rather than the
user. Ultimately, at least in this case, it is the caregiver who makes the
final decision where to invest their money and/or effort.

 There ain't one. In fact, every option could be wrong.

Note that each of the "options" describes a complex cause-and-effect chain,
but they have some common links, e.g. the sick puppy is clearly
metabolically impaired, though whatever link leads to this link is unclear.
Further, there are a very finite number of potential links leading to
metabolic impairment (dehydration, organ malfunction, brain malfunction,
premature weaning, etc.)

 And mistakes can be expensive.

Indeed, the primary initial effort is to minimize the cost of mistakes while
further information is being gathered. Here, we have kept the puppy alive
for 2 days longer than it was estimated to live, and it seems to be getting
better. Unfortunately, care has been SO careful regarding the many hazards
indicated by various theories that little additional information has been
gathered, other than the puppy probably does NOT have really serious brain
damage, because it gets up out of its bed to eliminate, and sticks really
close to one particular adult dog (his father).

 ANd you may have got things fundamentally wrong (as per the ulcer problem).

In this case, most theories MUST be wrong because they are mutually
exclusive.

 And

 2) you and your AGI are "learner-livers", so you may not only have got
> things fundamentally wrong at the domain level, but at the cross-domain,
> still deeper level of how to learn and how to solve problems generally.

Hopefully, frequent updating of the problem statement being analyzed will
compensate for errors here.

  (And Bayes won't help you if your assumptions are fundamentally wrong).

I think that the key here is to DO SOMETHING. Changing the situation will
act as an experiment and result in gathering more information to be placed
into the problem statement. The key is to not go too far and kill the puppy
by continuing in any particular wrong direction. Obviously, the puppy would
have been dead before the sun set if he hadn't been fed SOMETHING. His
choice of goat's milk formula over the best available puppy food tells a
LOT.

 You have to find out how to deal with these problems - and how to learn and
> solve problems generally  - as you go along, and you never stop learning.

There are SO many subtle clues that suggest cause and effect chain links.
The BIG problem with puppies over people is that you can't simply ask them
direct questions. I have been indirectly asking questions by offering the
puppy varying things to eat and drink and observing his preferences,
offering warm and cool environments to choose between, etc.

In the case of people, really subtle clues guide this process, e.g. most
metabolic problems result in what the military calls IFF (Identification
Friend or Foe) malfunctions in the immune system, which then cause "minor"
symptoms like allergies, asthma, minor infections, etc. There may be a
really MAJOR presenting symptom like cancer or COPD (emphysema), but these
almost always go along with many minor symptoms which the patient may have
completely dismissed as a part of being quite normal. Once you know that
(for example) there is a metabolic (cellular environment) problem, the list
of usual culprits is relatively short and easy to check, and most of these
problems are easily fixed.

Note that the medical/legal system has made this approach ILLEGAL and will
take away the medical license of any physician who does this! I have seen a
couple of very good doctors go through this process. The problem is that
doctors, and most especially the doctors on the medical quality assurance
boards, have absolutely no applicable education or experience in these
areas, and so quickly dismiss them as quackery, rather than consider the
prospect that there are some REALLY important things about which they are
completely unaware, and that they have been killing their friends and
patients for decades.

> If you think you've got a way of programming - in effect, a "right way to
> live" - for problems one has - by definition - inadequate knowledge about at
> every level - and can usually *never* get adequate, definitive knowledge
> about,  pray tell - with reference to your particular problem..
>
> This is the most central question in AGI, and my experience is- everyone
> avoids it like the plague.

Dr Eliza (if everyone's questionable "knowledge" had been entered into it)
would simply identify ALL of the potential cause-and-effect chain links, and
identify any cures or treatments on a link-by-link basis. The user would
concentrate on links with cures or treatments, which would
effectively ignore the vet's theories of incurable illness. Dr. Eliza would
ask more questions like what is it that the puppy does like to eat or drink
in order to separate theories, which would lead to the same experiments that
we have been doing.

Note that if there is something non-fatal wrong with the puppy, that my
approach leads to the worst possible economic result - an UNsaleable puppy
that probably must be cared for until it dies of natural causes. The problem
with COMPLETELY logical approaches is that they assign no moral value to
decisions, even when they potentially involve euthanasia of viable
creatures.

IMHO, the programming needed to tackle such problems is rather simple
(though the tables are definitely NOT simple), but is COMPLETELY different
than anything (else) being discussed on this board. Most postings reflect a
lack of understanding of the fine structure of real-world problems.

> P.S. A psychologist would point out that you may well
> have unconsciously intended "v. sick puppy" as a metaphor for AGI :} .

The sick puppy problem is a classic, and its solution is valuable. I have
been considering enhancing Dr. Eliza for failure-to-thrive puppies, which
constitute ~10% of small breed puppies. This would potentially save several
thousand dollars per year to any breeder, and has none of the usual
political problems that curing people has.

Note in passing that I have managed to find ways around the legal minefield
in working on people. I never charge anything, but neither do I turn down
gifts, e.g. my daughter received a used BMW on her 16th birthday from one of
my patients. I precede any (rare) prescriptions with words like "please
request that your medical doctor prescribe the following:" knowing that they
will probably just order it over the Internet, etc.

Steve Richfield