So if Omuhundro's claim rests on that fact that "being self improving" is part of the AGI's makeup, and that this will cause the AGI to do certain things, develop certain subgoals etc. I say that he has quietly inserted a *motivation* (or rather assumed it: does he ever say how this is supposed to work?) into the system, and then imagined some consequences.

I think that I'm missing something here . . . . Omohundro is *explicitly* assuming self-improving and yes, self-improving is a goal/motivation. What do you believe that this proves/disproves? I'm not getting your point.

Further, I do not buy the supposed consequences. Me, I have the "self-improving" motivation too. But it is pretty modest, and also it is just one among many, so it does not have the consequences that he attributes to the general existence of the self-improvement motivation.

AS I said in my previous e-mail, I don't buy his consequences either.

My point is that since he did not understand that he was making the assumption,

Excuse me? What makes you believe that he didn't understand that he was making the self-improvement assumption or that it was a goal/motivation? It looked pretty deliberate to me.

and did not realize the role that it could play in a Motivational Emotional system (as opposed to a Goal Stack system),

OK. So could you describe what role it would play in an MES system as opposed to a Goal Stack System? I don't see a difference in terms of effects.

he made a complete dog's dinner of claiming how a future AGI would *necessarily* behave.

This I agree with -- but not because of any sort of differences between GS and MES systems. I don't believe that his conclusions apply to an intelligent GS system either.

Only in a Goal Stack system is there a danger of a self-improvement supergoal going awol.

Why? An MES system requires more failures to have a problem, but certain types of environment could (and should) cause such a problem.

As far as i can see, his arguments simply do not apply to MES systems: the arguments depend too heavily on the assumption that the architecture is a Goal Stack. It is simply that none of what he says *follows* if an MES is used. Just a lot of non-sequiteurs.

I *STILL* don't get this. His arguments depend heavily upon the system having goals/motivations. Yes, his arguments do not apply to an MES system without motivations. But they do apply to MES systems with motivations (although, again, I don't agree with his conclusions).

When an MES system is set up with motivations (instead of being blank) what happens next depends on the mechanics of the system, and the particular motivations.

YES! But his argument is that to fulfill *any* motivation, there are generic submotivations (protect myself, accumulate power, don't let my motivation get perverted) that will further the search to fulfill your motivation.

= = = = =

As a relevant aside, you never answered my question regarding how you believed an MES system was different from a system with a *large* number of goal stacks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Loosemore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>