Richard,

On 6/5/08, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are two completely different types of project that seem to get
> conflated in these discussions:
>
> 1) Copying the brain at the neural level, which is usually assumed to be a
> 'blind' copy - in other words, we will not know how it works, but will just
> do a complete copy and fire it up.

I suspect that we will have to learn a LOT more to be able to make something
like this work, in part because we will need new theory in order to compute
parameters that we cannot directly measure.

1.5) Combining scanned information with mathematical constraints to produce
diagrams of "perfect" neurons, even though the precise parameters of the
real-world neurons is not fully scannable.

> 2) Copying the design of the human brain at the cognitive level.  This may
> involve a certain amount of neuroscience, but mostly it will be at the
> cognitive system level, and could be done without much reference to neurons
> at all.

The last 40 years of fruitless AI shows this to be pretty much of a dead
end. There is simply too many questions that we don't even know enough to
ask.

2.5) First understanding how we think with neurons, program computers to
perform the same or better directly, without reference to neurons or their
equivalents.

> Both of these ideas are very different from standard AI, but they are also
> very different from one another.  The criticisms that can be leveled against
> the neural-copy approach do not apply to the cognitive approach, for
> example.

My more "real" 1.5 and 2.5 proposals require nearly the same levels of
understanding, and ultimately lead to very similar results as "simulation"
gives way via optimization to the same sort of code as direct AGI
programming would utilize. In short, I suspect that both paths will
ultimately lead to approximately the same final result. Sure we can argue
about which path is best, but "easiest wins" usually rules.

It is frustrating to see commentaries that drift back and forth between
> these two.
>
> My own position is that a cognitive-level copy is not just feasible but
> well under way, whereas the idea of duplicating the neural level is just a
> pie-in-the-sky fantasy at this point in time (it is not possible with
> current or on-the-horizon technology, and will probably not be possible
> until after we invent an AGI by some other means and get it to design, build
> and control a nanotech brain scanning machine).

There is nothing in the above sentence that I can agree with, from which to
state objections to the remainder! Some of it may turn out to be correct,
but too little is known and no one is even building the needed lab equipment
to determine just WHAT the situation actually is. However, I believe that
the whole "thinking" thing involves processes that no one here will EVER
guess without learning more about biological brains - if nothing more than
the mathematics of operation. However, your next paragraph asks some of the
right questions, showing that sometimes it is possible to get to the correct
place, even though the path to there is severely flawed.

Duplicating a system as complex as that *without* first understanding it at
> the functional level seems pure folly:

I absolutely agree. So long as there is any sort of "unknown mathematics"
there is no hope.

one small error in the mapping and the result could be something that simply
> does not work ...

No, these MUST be correctable. SEM methods are unworkable because of the
high "disaster rate" as slices are often destroyed. However, my scanning UV
fluorescence microscope doesn't have such problems because the scanning is
all within unsliced bulk brain, then some is sliced off and discarded and
scanning within the unsliced bulk brain continues.

Further, there will doubtless be parameters that evade scanning. SEM methods
trash the complex molecules that underlie neural function, and so have no
hope of success. However, even the UV fluorescence methods may prove to be
inadequate to extract everything needed. Hence IMHO there will have to be
lots of "fudging" as the scanner figures out what must have been there to
make it all work. This will obviously require better mathematics than we now
have.

and then, faced with a brain-copy that needs debugging, what would we do?

Debugging wetware is much the same as debugging software, only wetware is
MUCH more forgiving of errors, since neurons routinely die at a horrendous
rate even in "healthy" people.

The best we could do is start another scan and hope for better luck next
> time.

You can NOT rescan. You MUST get it right the first time. Even genetically
identical twins raised together have very different brains when you look at
the (visible light) microscopic details - as a half-century-old experiment
on identical twin lab mice showed.

Steve Richfield