The only thing I find surprising in that story is:

"The findings go against one prominent theory that says children can only show
smart, flexible behavior if they have conceptual knowledge – knowledge about
how things work..."

I don't see how anybody who's watched human beings at all can come with such a
theory. People -- not just children -- do so much by rote, "because that's
the way we do things here", come up with totally clueless scientific theories
like this, and so forth.

Joe and Bob are carpenters, working on a house. Joe is hammering and Bob is
handing him the nails.

Bob says, "Hey, wait a minute, half of these nails are defective." He takes
out a nail and holds it up and sure enough, the head is toward the wall and
the point is toward the hammer.

Joe retorts, "Those aren't defective, you idiot, they're for the other side of
the house."

Josh