On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM, William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> While SIAI fills that niche somewhat, it concentrates on the
> Intelligence explosion scenario. Is there a sufficient group of
> researchers/thinkers with a shared vision of the future of AI coherent
> enough to form an organisation? This organisation would discus,
> explore and disseminate what can be done to make the introduction as
> painless as possible.
>
> The base beliefs shared between the group would be something like
>
>  - The entities will not have goals/motivations inherent to their
> form. That is robots aren't likely to band together to fight humans,
> or try to take over the world for their own means.  These would have
> to be programmed into them, as evolution has programmed group loyalty
> and selfishness into humans.
> - The entities will not be capable of fully wrap around recursive
> self-improvement. They will improve in fits and starts in a wider
> economy/ecology like most developments in the world *
> - The goals and motivations of the entities that we will likely see in
> the real world will be shaped over the long term by the forces in the
> world, e.g. evolutionary, economic and physics.
>
> Basically an organisation trying to prepare for a world where AIs
> aren't sufficiently advanced technology or magic genies, but still
> dangerous and a potentially destabilising world change. Could a
> coherent message be articulated by the subset of the people that agree
> with these points. Or are we all still too fractured?

Two questions:
1) Do you know enough to estimate which scenario is more likely?
2) What does this difference change for research at this stage?

Otherwise it sounds like you are just calling to start a cult that
believes in this particular unsupported thing, for no good reason. ;-)

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]