"Am I correct in this interpretation of what Abram said, and is that
interpretation included in what your Google clippings indicate is the
generally understood meaning of the term backward chaining.
Ed Porter"

It sounds to me like you are interpreting me correctly.

One important note. Lukasz quoted one source that claimed that forward
chaining can help to cut down the combinatorial explosion arising from
the huge search space in backwards-chaining. This is true in some
situations, but the opposite can also be the case; backwards-chaining
can help to focus inferences when it would be impossible to deduce
every fact that would follow by forward-chaining. It depends on the
forward and backwards branching factors. If every fact fires an
average of five rules forwards, but three backwards, then
backwards-chaining will be less expensive; 5^n vs 3^n, where n is the
length of the actual deductive chain being searched for. Simultaneous
backwards/forwards chaining that meets in the middle can be even less
expensive; with a branching factor of 2 in both directions, the search
time goes down from 2^n for forward or backward chaining to 2^(n/2 +
1).

On the other hand, what we want the system to do makes a big
difference. If we really do have a single goal-sentence we want to
prove or disprove, the above arguments hold. But if we want to deduce
all consequences of our current knowledge, we should use forward
chaining regardless of branching factors and so on.

Most of this stuff should be in any intro AI textbook.

--Abram