2008/8/30 Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> Isn't it an evolutionary stable strategy for the modification system
>> module to change to a state where it does not change itself?1
>
> Not if the top-level goals are weighted toward long-term growth
>

>> Let me
>> give you a just so story and you can tell me whether you think it
>> likely. I'd be curious as to why you don't.
>>
>> Let us say the AI is trying to learn a different language (say french
>> with its genders), so the system finds it is better to concentrate its
>> change on the language modules as these need the most updating. So a
>> modification to the modification module that completely concentrates
>> the modifications on the language module should be the best at that
>> time. But then it would be frozen forever and once the need to vary
>> the language module was past it wouldn't be able to go back to
>> modifying other modules. Short sighted I know, but I have yet to come
>> across an RSI system that isn't either short sighted or limited to
>> what it can prove.
>
> You seem to be assuming that subgoal alienation will occur, and the
> long-term goal of dramatically increasing intelligence will be forgotten
> in favor of the subgoal of improving NLP.  But I don't see why you
> make this assumption; this seems an easy problem to avoid in a
> rationally-designed AGI system, although not so easy in the context
> of human psychology.

Have you implemented a long term growth goal atom yet? Don't they have
to specify a specific state? Or am I reading
http://opencog.org/wiki/OpenCogPrime:GoalAtom wrong?

Also do you have any information on how the top level goal will play a
part in assigning a fitness in Moses? How can you evaluate how good a
change to a module will be for long term growth, without allowing the
system to run for a long time and measure its growth?

  Will