On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> An organization is most efficient when its members specialize. It is true we
> don't need to build millions of schools to train child AI's. But every person
> has
> some knowledge that is unique to their job. For example, they know their
> customers, vendors, and co-workers, who to go to for information. It costs a
> company a couple year's salary to replace a white collar employee, including
> the hidden costs of the new employee repeating all the mistakes made by the
> previous employee in learning the job. I estimate that about 5% of the
> knowledge
> useful to your job cannot be copied from someone else. This fraction will
> increase
> as the economy becomes more efficient and there is more specialization of job
> functions.

But where did this unique knowledge, all the details of our culture
and economy, come from? We figured it out by applying our intelligence
to solving the human needs. Our solutions might even be vastly
suboptimal, even if good enough for the time being. (Also see
Yudkowsky's essay "The Power of Intelligence"
http://www.singinst.org/blog/2007/07/10/the-power-of-intelligence/ )

You can construct a mechanical hammer, transferring the form of
action. You can design a mechanical hammer factory, introducing mass
production of cheap hammers, applied in a suboptimal way by armies of
construction workers to every problem. You can open an institution and
teach engineers who design appropriate tools for every problem and
instruct the machines of the factory to cheaply produce what you need.
You can open a university that trains engineers of different
specialities. You can set up a market that figures out which
specialties and organizations are needed.

Introducing AIs at the construction worker stage, where you give them
a standard hammer and teach them to strike nails, misses the point.
You need to apply AI at the highest level, where it starts to solve
the problems from the root, once and for all, deciding how to solve
the problems, designing appropriate tools, learning required facts,
deploying the solutions.

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]