Ben Goertzel wrote:

Hi,

    My main impression of the AGI-08 forum was one of over-dominance
    by singularity-obsessed  and COMP thinking, which must have
    freaked me out a bit.

This again is completely off-base ;-)

I also found my feeling about -08 as slightly coloured by first hand experience from an attendee who came away with the impression I put. I'll try and bolt down my paranioa at tad...

COMP, yes ... Singularity, no. The Singularity was not a theme of AGI-08 and the vast majority of participant researchers are not seriously into Singularitarianism, futurism, and so forth.
Good, although I'll be vigorously adding non-COMP approaches to the mix, and trusting that is OK

There was a post-conference workshop on the Future of AGI, which about half of the conference attendees attended, at which the Singularity and related issues were discussed, among other issues. For instance, the opening talk at the workshop was given by Natasha Vita-More, who so far as I know is not a Singularitarian per se, though an excellent futurist. And one of the more vocal folks in the discussions in the workshop was Selmer Bringsjord, who believes COMP is false and has a different theory of intelligence than you or me, tied into his interest in Christian philosophy.

    The only reason for not connecting consciousness with AGI is a
    situation where one can see no mechanism or role for it.

Seeing a "mechanism or role" for consciousness requires a specific theory of consciousness that not everybody holds --- and as you surely know, not even everyone in the machine consciousness community holds.

Personally I view the first-person, second-person and third-person views as different perspectives on the universe, so I think it's a category error to talk about "mechanisms of consciousness" ... though one can talk about "mechanisms that are correlated with particularly intense consciousness", for example.

See my presentation from the Nokia workshop on Machine Consciousness in August ... where I was the only admitted panpsychist ;-)

http://goertzel.org/NokiaMachineConsciousness.ppt
ouch 10MB safely squirreled away under GforGoertzel, thank goodness for the uni bandwidth.. :-)

I think I rest my case. You cannot see a physical mechanism or a role. I can.

Inventing/adopting a whole mental rationale that avoids the problem based on an assumption about a 'received view' is not something I can do...I have a real physical process I can point to objectively, and a perspective from which it makes perfect sense that it be responsible for a first person perspective of the kind we receive.........and I can't/won't talk it away just because 'Ben said so', even when the 'category error' stick, is wielded. That old rubric excuse for an argument doesn't scare me a bit ... :-) Consciousness is a problem for a reason, and that reason is mostly us thinking our 'categories' are right.

Interestingly, my model, if you stand back and squint a bit, can be interpreted as having an 'as-if pan-psychism was real' appearance. Only an appearance tho. It's not real.

Anyway... let's just let my story unfold, eh? It's a big one, so it'll take a while. Fun to be had!

Thanks for the 'Hidden Pattern' link... I shall digest it.

cheers
colin