    From: Colin Hales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Subject: Re: [agi] Advocacy Is no Excuse for Exaggeration
    To: agi@v2.listbox.com
    Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 12:43 AM

    Hi Matt,
    ... The Gamez paper situation is now...erm...resolved. You are
    right: the paper doesn't argue that solving consciousness is
    necessary for AGI. What has happened recently is a subtle shift  -
    those involved simple fail to make claims about the consciousness
    or otherwise of the machines! This does not entail that they are
    not actually working on it. They are just being cautious...Also,
    you correctly observe that solving AGI on a purely computational
    basis is not prohibited by the workers involved in the GAMEZ
    paper.. indeed most of their work assumes it!... I don't have a
    problem with this...However...'attributing' consciousness to it
    based on its behavior is probably about as unscientific as it
    gets. That outcome betrays no understanding whatever of
    consciousness, its mechanism or its role....and merely assumes
    COMP is true and creates an agreement based on ignorance. This is
    fatally flawed non-science.

    [BTW: We need an objective test (I have one - I am waiting for it
    to get published...). I'm going to try and see where it's at in
    that process. If my test is acceptable then I predict all COMP
    entrants will fail, but I'll accept whatever happens... - and
    external behaviour is decisive. Bear with me a while till I get it
    sorted.]

    I am still getting to know the folks [EMAIL PROTECTED] And the group may
    be diverse, as you say ... but if they are all COMP, then that
    diversity is like a group dedicated to an unresolved argument over
    the colour of a fish's bicycle. If we can attract the attention of
    the likes of those in the GAMEZ paper... and others such as Hynna
    and Boahen at Stanford, who have an unusual hardware neural
    architecture...(Hynna, K. M. and Boahen, K. 'Thermodynamically
    equivalent silicon models of voltage-dependent ion channels',
    /Neural Computation/ vol. 19, no. 2, 2007. 327-350.) ...and others
    ... then things will be diverse and authoritative. In particular,
    those who have recently essentially squashed the computational
    theories of mind from a neuroscience perspective- the 'integrative
    neuroscientists':

    Poznanski, R. R., Biophysical neural networks : foundations of
    integrative neuroscience, Mary Ann Liebert, Larchmont, NY, 2001,
    pp. viii, 503 p.

    Pomerantz, J. R., Topics in integrative neuroscience : from cells
    to cognition, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK ; New
    York, 2008, pp. xix, 427 p.

    Gordon, E., Ed. (2000). Integrative neuroscience : bringing
    together biological, psychological and clinical models of the
    human brain. Amsterdam, Harwood Academic.

    The only working, known model of general intelligence is the
    human. If we base AGI on anything that fails to account
    scientifically and completely for /all/ aspects of human
    cognition, including consciousness, then we open ourselves to
    critical inferiority... and the rest of science will simply find
    the group an irrelevant cultish backwater. Strategically the group
    would do well to make choices that attract the attention of the
    'machine consciousness' crowd - they are directly linked to
    neuroscience via cog sci. The crowd that runs with JETAI (journal
    of theoretical and experimental artificial intelligence) is also
    another relevant one. It'd be nice if those people also saw the
    AGI journal as a viable repository for their output. I for one
    will try and help in that regard. Time will tell I suppose.

    cheers,
    colin hales