--- On Wed, 10/15/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> An AI twice as smart as any human could figure
> out how to use the resources at his disposal to
> help him create an AI 3 times as smart as any
> human.  These AI's will not be brains in vats.
> They will have resources at their disposal.

It depends on what you mean by "twice as smart". Do you mean twice as many
brain cells? Twice as much memory? Twice as fast? Twice as much knowledge? Able
to score 200 on an adult IQ test (if such a thing existed)?

Unless you tell me otherwise, I have to assume that it means "able to do what 2
people can do" (or 3 or 10, the exact number isn't important). In that case, I
have to argue it is the global brain that is creating the AI with a very tiny
bit of help from the parent AI. You would get the same result by hiring more
people.

The fact is we have been creating smarter than human machines for 50 years now,
depending on what intelligence test you use. And they have greatly increased
our productivity by doing well the things that humans do poorly, much more than
you could have gotten by hiring more people.

> Also, when we can build one AI twice as smart
> as any human, we can build a million of them
> soon thereafter.

All of whom will know exactly the same thing. Training each of them to do a
specialized task will not be cheap. And no, they will not just learn on their
own without human effort. On the job training has real costs in mistakes and
lost productivity. Not everything they need to know is written down.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]