On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oh, and I *have* to laugh . . . .
>
>  Hence the wiki entry on scientific method:
>> "Scientific method is not a recipe: it requires intelligence,
>> >imagination,
>>
> and creativity"
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
>> This is basic stuff.
>>

> In the cited wikipedia entry, the phrase "Scientific method is not a
> recipe: it requires intelligence, imagination, and creativity" is
> immediately followed by just such a recipe for the scientific method
>
> A linearized, pragmatic scheme of the four points above is sometimes
> offered as a guideline for proceeding:[25]

Yes, but each of those steps is very vague, and cannot be boiled down to a
series of precise instructions sufficient for a stupid person to
consistently carry them out effectively...

Also, those steps are heuristic and do not cover all cases.  For instance
step 4 requires experimentation, yet there are sciences such as cosmology
and paleontology that are not focused on experimentation.

As you asked for references I will give you two:

Paul Feyerabend, Against Method (a polemic I don't fully agree with, but his
points need to be understood by those who will talk about scientific method)

Imre Lakatos, The Methodology of Scientific Research Programmes (which I do
largely agree with ... he's a very subtle thinker...)

ben g

>  1.. Define the question
>  2.. Gather information and resources (observe)
>  3.. Form hypothesis
>  4.. Perform experiment and collect data
>  5.. Analyze data
>  6.. Interpret data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for
> new hypothesis
>  7.. Publish results
>  8.. Retest (frequently done by other scientists)
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. Matthias Heger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson