Hi Ben and others,

After some more thinking, I decide to try the virtual credit approach afterall.

Last time Ben's argument was that the virtual credit method confuses
for-profit and charity emotions in people.  At that time it sounded
convincing, but after some thinking I realized that it is actually
completely untrue.  My approach is actually more unequivocally
for-profit, and Ben's accusation actually applies to OpenCog's stance
more aptly.  I'm afraid OpenCog has some ethical problems by
straddling between for-profit and charity.  For example:  why do you
need funding to do charity?  If you want to do charity why not do it
out of your own pockets?  Why use a dual license if the final product
is supposed to be free for all?  etc.

It is good for a company to be charitable, but you're forcing me to do
charity when I am having financial problems myself.  Your charity
victimizes me and other people trying to make money in the AGI
business.

I can understand why you dislike my approach:  you have contributed to
AGI in many intangible ways, such as organizing conferences,
increasing public awareness of AGI, etc.  I respect you for these
efforts.  Under the virtual credit system it would be very difficult
to assign credits to you -- not impossible -- but then if you try to
claim too many credits you'd start to look like a Shylock, and that
may be very embarassing.  Secondly, there may be other people in the
OpenCog devel team who dislike virtual credits for their own reasons,
and you may want to placate them.

So, either we confront the embarassing problem and try to assign ex
post facto credits, or, another alternative is to keep our projects
separate.  The world may be able to accomodate two or more AGIs (it
may actually be a healthy thing, from a complex-systems perspective).
I don't suppose my virtual credit approach can universally satisfy all
AGI developers.  But neither can your approach (under which I cannot
get any gaurantee of financial rewards).

I'm open to other suggestions, but if there're aren't any, I'd proceed
with virtual credit.  I guess some people will like it, and some will
hate it.  This is just natural.  At least I'm honest about my motives.

PS.  The argument that "AGI should be free because it is such an
important technology" can equally apply to other many technologies
such as medicine and (later) life extension or uploading.  It can even
apply to things like food, housing, citizenship, computer hardware,
etc.  In the end I think we need to admit that the "good way" lies
somewhere between charity and for-profit.  And my project aims to be
charitable in its own way too.  The only difference between my way and
OpenCog is that I want to make the accounting of contributions
transparent, and to reward contributors financially, while being
charitable in some other ways, that depend on how much profits we'll
make.  (Making the software opensource is already very charitable and
we may not be able to make that much money at all).

YKY