--- On Wed, 11/19/08, Daniel Yokomizo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Matt Mahoney
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Seed AI is a myth.
> > http://www.mattmahoney.net/agi2.html (section 2).
>
> (I'm assuming you meant the section "5.1.
> Recursive Self Improvement")

That too, but mainly in the argument for the singularity:

"If humans can produce smarter than human AI, then so can they, and faster"

I am questioning the antecedent, not the consequent.

RSI is not a matter of an agent with IQ of 180 creating an agent with an IQ of
190. Individual humans can't produce much of of anything beyond spears and
clubs without the global economy in which we live. To count as self
improvement, the global economy has to produce a smarter global economy. This
is already happening.

My paper on RSI referenced in section 5.1 (and submitted to JAGI) only applies
to systems without external input. It would apply to the unlikely scenario of a
program that could understand its own source code and rewrite itself until it
achieved vast intelligence while being kept in isolation for safety reasons.
This scenario often came up on the SL4 list. It was referred to AI boxing. It
was argued that a superhuman AI could easily trick its relatively stupid human
guards into releasing it, and there were some experiments where people played
the role of the AI and proved just that, even without vastly superior
intelligence.

I think that the boxed AI approach has been discredited by now as being
impractical to develop for reasons independent of its inherent danger and my
proof that it is impossible. All of the serious projects in AI are taking place
in open environments, often with data collected from the internet, for simple
reasons of expediency. My argument against seed AI is in this type of
environment. It is extremely expensive to produce a better global economy. The
current economy is worth about US$ 1 quadrillion. No small group is going to
control any significant part of it.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]