Ed Porter wrote:
> Since I assume Ben, as well as a lot of the rest of us, want the AGI
> movement to receive respectability in the academic and particularly in the
> funding community, it is probably best that other than brain-science- or
> AGI-focused discussions of the effects of drugs should not become too common
> on the AGI list itself.  Ben, of course, is the ultimate decider of that.
>
> I remember the excitement I had over 3 to 4 decades ago when I experimented
> with psychedelics (although at relatively low dosages), so I can sympathize
> with the enthusiasms of current experimenters.  And I find some of the
> written accounts of such experiments that I have read on the web to be very
> thoughtful, at time reminiscent, and very interesting from a brain
> science/AGI point of view.  But right now I am sufficiently busy with more
> concrete realities that I am not in the market for such encounters.
>
> I do think psychedelic experiences can shed valuable light on the extent to
> which all perception is hallucination, just normally it is well turned and
> controlled hallucination.
>
> For example, the experiences some have reported, including off list in this
> discussion, of the sense of 3+1 D spacetime being shattered, or being
> perceived as very different, is not a surprise if one considers that your
> normal perception of space and time is an extremely complex and carefully
> controlled hallucination.  If you substantially remove that control, it is
> not surprising that, for example, a cubist-like deconstruction of special
> perception might occur.  After all, your mind has to stitch together its
> normal visual continuousness of 3D spatial reality from stereographic
> projections onto V1, which because of jerky saccades of the eye, are a rapid,
> disjointed, succession of grossly fish-eyed projections.  So when
> psychedelics interfere with the normal process of stitching together
> projections from V1 and/or V2 and from remembered matching patterns of shapes
> and objects --- each having their own set of dimensions --- it is not
> surprising that a very different perception of space could arise, including a
> perception of a dis-joint set of many more than than 3+1 dimensions.
>
> With regard to perceptions of direct communicating with a myriad of other
> consciousnesses, such as elves, this is not surprising either, since the
> concept of unity of consciousness is also a construct generated by mental
> behavior and mental models, as is the construct of 3D space.  Your brain is
> capable of generating many voices, many senses of awareness at once.  But it
> normally works best, for generating behavior that helps humans survive, to
> have a greater, more distinct divide between what is conscious and what is
> kept in the subconscious, so that greater focus on the problems and behaviors
> at hand can be achieved.
>
> I am not, in any way trying to belittle the importance, nor "realness" of
> [...]
When I read this (silently [per this mailing list, as is my almost ever
practice], I found this recent web-comic to be so synergistic: I
laughed! aloud, and decide to share.: CAVEAT -  this shall never become
a common practice, as I am but a silent observer ... mostly ... ;)

I hope all (some? any?) would also find a moment of pleasant additional
musing ...

<http://www.questionablecontent.net/comics/1279.png>
or via   http://tinyurl.com/644zfs

Final commentary (with folded hands, and smoking nostrils, even?):

"Hee hee hee!"

--

                         INFORNOGRAPHY:

                   It's more than 'information'