Abram,
I don't think you are right.  The reason is that Solomonoff Induction does
not produce a true universal probability for any given first digits.  To do
so it would have to be capable of representing the probability of any
(computable)  sequence that follows any (computable) string of given first
digits.

Yes, if a high proportion of programs produce 000000, it will be able to
register that as string as more probable, but the information on what the
next digits will be, given some input, will not be represented in anything
that resembled "compression".  For instance, if you had 62 bits and wanted
to know what the probability of the next two bits were, you would have to
have done the infinite calculations of a Solomonoff Induction for each of
the 2^62 possible combination of bits that represented the possible input to
your problem.

I might be wrong, but I don't see where all this is "information" is being
hidden if I am.  On the other hand, if I am right (or even partially right)
I don't understand why seemingly smart people are excited about this as a
possible AGI method.

We in AGI specifically want to know the answer to the kind of question:
Given some partially defined situation, how could a computer best figure out
what is going on.  Most computer situations are going to be represented by
kilobytes or megabytes these days, not in strings of 32 bits or less.  If
there was an abstraction that could help us think about these things, it
could help even if the ideal would be way beyond any feasible technology.
And there is an abstraction like this that can help us.  Applied
probability.  We can think about these ideas in the terms of strings if we
want to but the key is that WE have to work out the details because we see
the problems differently.  There is nothing that I have seen in Solomonoff
Induction that suggests that this is an adequate or even useful method to
use.  On the other hand I would not be talking about this if it weren't for
Solomonoff so maybe I just don't share your enthusiasm.  If I have
misunderstood something then all I can say is that I am still waiting for
someone to explain it in a way that I can understand.

Jim