Jim,

There is a simple proof of convergence for the sum involved in defining the
probability of a given string in the Solomonoff distribution:

At its greatest, a particular string would be output by *all* programs. In
this case, its sum would come to 1. This puts an upper bound on the sum.
Since there is no subtraction, there is a lower bound at 0 and the sum
monotonically increases as we take the limit. Knowing these facts, suppose
it *didn't* converge. It must then increase without bound, since it cannot
fluctuate back and forth (it can only go up). But this contradicts the upper
bound of 1. So, the sum must stop at 1 or below (and in fact we can prove it
stops below 1, though we can't say where precisely without the infinite
computing power required to compute the limit).

--Abram

--
Abram Demski
http://lo-tho.blogspot.com/