I write this month to condemn the inventor of the electronic "seeing eye"
toilet. Yes, that's right, I'm talking toilets here, doo-doo-stuff, some of
which I hopefully won't step in myself over the next few paragraphs. I know
there must be more substantive and less objectionable topics to bring before
you, but I have a sense that many of you join me in spirit if not common
experience and so I devote this month's Outlook to another trivial snippet
emphasizing our joint humanity and sense of loss due to the recent
disappearance of the hand flusher.

I don't know where it is located exactly, but there's an electronic eye in the
plumbing of public toilets these days that can sense when you get up and down
(or is it down and up) and are finally finished with your "business," if you
get my drift. My doctor says a proctology exam is a necessary evil but cameras
in toilets? Never having seen myself from this particular angle, it is
particularly embarrassing to turn over the assignment to a camera and in effect
say, "Snap away - see anything that doesn't look right?" I figure if there's an
eye there, then there could also be a little voice that says, "Have a seat,"
which of course I do, usually with much haste and a sense that I'd better get
on with it before I attract a crowd.

It's after the dirty deed is complete, however, that the real intrigue begins.
Does it flush or doesn't it? Only the computer chip knows for sure. Sometimes,
though, after the paperwork has been filed, pants pulled up and an attempted
getaway initiated - nothing happens. No flush. Well, what is one to do in such
circumstances? You can't just leave it there, you know. Sometimes when the
toilet's plugged and there's no plunger like in European bathrooms, you can get
out of there quick with conscience in tact, but only, of course, after checking
to see that there's no one else in the restroom who might be able to testify
against you in court for being a non-flusher. With electronic eye toilets,
however, the conscience is never clear and so you wave your hand in front of
the camera, hoping to convince it by the breaking of light waves that someone
really has used the toilet and that somehow it just forgot, or maybe the
deposit was so minuscule that it just didn't merit a flush. Hello in there!
Having failed to trick it, however, the next step is to look for that little
button in the back that you supposedly push in an emergency - sort of like a
"break glass in case of fire" toilet equivalent. But think of all the billions
of germs! At least with an old handle you could kick it with your shoe, hold up
your arms like a doctor scrubbing for surgery and make an exit looking like
you're auditioning for a part on ER. Finally I suppose you head for the door,
all the while listening for the flush, the flush, that beautiful sound of the
flush. I could have done it myself, you know, with a lot less hassle. Which is
why I support a retreat to the old days, (not the backyard outhouse), but the
good old-fashioned hand flusher. One push, and presto - you're good to go!

http://www.pimco.com/LeftNav/Featured+Market+Commentary/IO/2010/Gross+Privates+Eye+August.htm