On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM, David Jones <davidher...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've suddenly realized that computer vision of real images is very much
solvable and that it is now just a matter of engineering...
I've also realized that I don't actually have to implement it, which is what
is most difficult because even if you know a solution to part of the problem
has certain properties and issues, implementing it takes a lot of time.
Whereas I can just assume I have a less than perfect solution with the
properties I predict from other experiments. Then I can solve the problem
without actually implementing every last detail...
*First*, existing methods find observations that are likely true by
themselves. They find data patterns that are very unlikely to occur by
coincidence, such as many features moving together over several frames of a
video and over a statistically significant distance. They use thresholds to
ensure that the observed changes are likely transformations of the original
property observed or to ensure the statistical significance of an
observation. These are highly likely true observations and not coincidences
or noise.
Just looking at these statements, I can find three significant errors. (I do
agree with some of what you said, like the significance of finding
observations that are likely true in themselves.)  When the camera moves (in
a rotation or pan) many features will appear 'to move together over a
statistically significant distance'.  One might suppose that the animal can
sense the movement of his own eyes but then again, he can rotate his head
and use his vision to gauge the rotation of his head.  So right away there
is some kind of serious error in your statement.  It might be resolvable, it
is just that your statement does not really do the resolution.  I do believe
that computer vision is possible with contemporary computers but you are
also saying that while you can't get your algorithms to work the way you had
hoped, it doesn't really matter because you can figure it all out without
the work of implementation.  My point of view is that these represent major
errors in reasoning.
I hope to get back to actual visual processing experiments again.  Although
I don't think that computer vision is necessary for AGI, I do think that
there is so much to be learned from experimenting with computer vision that
it is a serious mistake not to take advantage of opportunity.
Jim Bromer