[from:

Concept-Rich Mathematics Instruction]

Teacher: Very good. Now, look at this drawing

and explain what you see. [Draws.]

Debora: It's a pie with three pieces.

Teacher: Tell us about the pieces.

Debora: Three thirds.

Teachers: What is the difference among the pieces?

Debora: This is the largest third, and here is the smallest . . .

Sound familiar? Have you ever wondered why students often

understand mathematics in a very rudimentary and prototypical

way, why even rich and exciting hands-on types of active learning

do not always result in "real" learning of new concepts? From

the psycho-educational perspective, these are the critical questions.

In other words, epistemology is valuable to the extent that

it helps us find ways to enable students who come with preconceived

and misconceived ideas to understand a framework of

scientific and mathematical concepts.

Constructivism: A New Perspective

At the dawn of behaviorism, constructivism became the most

dominant epistemology in education. The purest forms of this

philosophy profess that knowledge is not passively received

either through the senses or by way of communication, just as

meaning is not explicitly out there for grabs. Rather, constructivists

generally agree that knowledge is actively built up by a

"cognizing" human who needs to adapt to what is fit and viable

(von Glasersfeld, 1995). Thus, there is no dispute among constructivists

over the premise that one's knowledge is in a constant

state of flux because humans are subject to an ever-changing

reality (Jaworski, 1994, p. 16).

Although constructivists generally regard understanding as

the outcome of an active process, constructivists still argue

over the nature of the process of knowing. Is knowing simply

a matter of recall? Does learning new concepts reflect additive

or structural cognitive changes? Is the process of knowing

concepts built from the "bottom up," or can it be a "top-down"

process? How does new conceptual knowledge depend on

experience? How does conceptual knowledge relate to procedural

knowledge? And, can teachers mediate conceptual

development?

| Concept-Rich Mathematics Instruction

Is Learning New Concepts Simply a Mechanism

of Memorization and Recall?

Science and mathematics educators have become increasingly

aware that our understanding of conceptual change is at least as

important as the analysis of the concepts themselves. In fact, a

plethora of research has established that concepts are mental

structures of intellectual relationships, not simply a subject matter.

The research indicates that the mental structures of intellectual

relationships that make up mental concepts organize human

experiences and human memory (Bartsch, 1998). Therefore, conceptual

changes represent structural cognitive changes, not simply

additive changes. Based on the research in cognitive psychology,

the attention of research in education has been shifting from the

content (e.g., mathematical concepts) to the mental predicates,

language, and preconcepts. Despite the research, many teachers

continue to approach new concepts as if they were simply addons

to their students' existing knowledge-a subject of memorization

and recall. This practice may well be one of the causes of

misconceptions in mathematics.

Structural Cognitive Change

The notion of structural cognitive change, or schematic change,

was first introduced in the field of psychology (by Bartlett, who

studied memory in the 1930s). It became one of the basic tenets

of constructivism. Researchers in mathematics education picked

up on this term and have been leaning heavily on it since the

1960s, following Skemp (1962), Minsky (1975), and Davis (1984).

The generally accepted idea among researchers in the field, as

stated by Skemp (1986, p. 43), is that in mathematics, "to understand

something is to assimilate it into an appropriate schema."

A structural cognitive change is not merely an appendage. It

involves the whole network of interrelated operational and

conceptual schemata. Structural changes are pervasive, central,

and permanent.

The first characteristic of structural change refers to its pervasive

nature. That is, new experiences do not have a limited

effect, but cause the entire cognitive structure to rearrange itself.

Vygotsky (1986, p. 167) argued,

It was shown and proved experimentally that mental development

does not coincide with the development of separate psychological

functions, but rather depends on changing relations between them.

The development of each function, in turn, depends upon the

progress in the development of the interfunctional system.