> This may violate Rule 2478. In particular, under that rule the Referee SHALL
> declare a pointing to be shenanigans if e believes it would be ILLEGAL or
> INEFFECTIVE to impose a fine for it; otherwise e SHALL impose the cold hand
> of justice.

Not quite.

      When a player Points a Finger, the investigator SHALL investigate
      the allegation and, in a timely fashion, SHALL conclude the
      investigation by:

      - Imposing the Cold Hand of Justice on the perp, as described
        elsewhere; or

      - if e believes that no rules violation occurred or that it would
        be ILLEGAL or INEFFECTIVE to levy a fine for it, announcing the
        Finger Pointing to be Shenanigans.

In short:
- I MUST either Impose the Cold Hand of Justice or announce Shenanigans.
- If no rule violation occurred, then I CANNOT Impose the Cold Hand of Justice
(R2531).
- If _I believe_ a rule violation occurred, then I CANNOT announce Shenanigans.

In this case, I believed no rule violation occurred. Therefore I COULD, and
did, announce Shenanigans regardless of whether or not a rule violation
actually occurred, and doing so discharged my obligations under R2478. (It is
true that I forgot to announce that the Pointing of Gaelan's Finger at Gaelan
for violating Rule 105 was also Shenanigans. I do so now.)

The fact that I first attempted to Impose the Cold Hand of Justice on Gaelan is
irrelevant. I am not PROHIBITED from performing INEFFECTIVE actions (unless
doing so constitutes a lie). And if it actually was EFFECTIVE, then so much the
better - it means eir attempt to make every player impure backfired.

Incidentally, I can't quite figure out if the way this rule behaves is
intentional or not. It seems similar to the fairly-common "If this CFJ that
'this is a CFJ' exists, then it must be TRUE, so I judge it TRUE."

-twg