On 2/2/21 5:27 PM, Kerim Aydin via agora-business wrote:
> The following Emergency Regulation, The First Regulation of G.ravity,
> is enacted:
>
>   A pausable intent is any announcement of intent for performing a
>   dependent action either without N objections, with N Agoran consent,
>   with notice, or with T notice.
>
>   G. CAN, by announcement, cause this regulation to extend the prior
>   deadline, provided for in Rule 2595(3), for performing a dependent
>   action based on a specified pausable intent (i.e. change the
>   time between intent announcement and the enabling of the
>   performance of the specified dependent action), to 14 days.

I CFJ: "The time at which an intent to do something without objection
becomes resolvable is a deadline.", barring G.

Arguments:

{

That time does not seem to fit the natural language meaning of the word
"deadline".

Definition from Google: "the latest time or date by which something
should be completed."

Definition from Merriam-Webster online: "a date or time before which
something must be done"

Definition from Dictionary.com: "the time by which something must be
finished or submitted; the latest time for finishing something" or "a
line or limit that must not be passed."

In all of these definitions, something must become impossible - either
an action or the fulfillment of an obligation. For an intent resolution,
nothing becomes DISABLED or ILLEGAL when the intent becomes resolvable -
instead something becomes ENABLED. A close analogy seems to be the start
of a voting period - I would not say that the start is a deadline, only
the end.

A counterargument could be that the time when it becomes resolvable is
the deadline for people to get objections in while they can be sure they
can be heard. This is reasonable when communicating to people, but Rule
2614 specifically requires that the deadline be "provided for by any
instrument other than this rule". No instrument directly requires that
anything occur before an intent becomes resolvable, neither for
POSSIBILITY or LEGALITY. Thus it does not fulfill the requirement that
the deadline be provided for by the rules.

The start of the resolution period also does not fulfill any of the
criteria specifically listed in the rule - no action must be done before
the resolution period for it to be "valid" - objections are just as
valid after the intent is resolvable (when it will still have effect),
or even after it is resolved (when it is still an objection, and will
prevent repeated resolutions), nor is there generally any obligation for
something to be done before an intent becomes resolvable.

}

Evidence:

{

Rule 2614/5 (Power=3.01)
Eclipse Light [Excerpt]

        - Extend any deadline provided for by any instrument other than
          this rule, including a deadline for an obligation to be met,
          or deadline prior to which an action must be performed in
          order to be valid, such as the end of voting period. Such an
          extension CANNOT cause the total time period, such as the
          time from when an obligation was created to the deadline or
          the whole of a voting period, to be more than double its
          original length.

}

--
Jason Cobb