On 4/24/22 02:26, secretsnail9 via agora-official wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 5:51 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-business <
> agora-business@agoranomic.org> wrote:

>> justice
>> transfer

>> I object.
>>
>> I CFJ, barring secretsnail:  G. won a lot consisting of all the justice
>> cards currently in the L&FD in the recent (April) Victory Auction.
>>

>> Arguments:
>>
>> G. won the bidding for, as per Rule 2629, "all of any single type of card
>> or product, currently owned by the Lost and Found Department".  The type
>> of card specified was "Justice Cards".
>>
>> At the time of auction initiation, it was 1 card.  Now, it's 2 cards.  The
>> rule clearly says "currently".  And two cards is what's in there
>> "currently".
>>
> I number the above CFJ 3960 and assign it to Jason.
>
> --
> secretsnail

I assign the following judgement in the above CFJ.

Arguments:
{

To determine whether a lot was won, it must first be determined whether
the auction was initiated at all.

G. pointed out on Discord that R2152 defines "CAN" only to include
single actions, not continuous processes requiring real world time. This
is problematic when considering R2545 paragraph 2, which uses a "CAN"
for conducting an auction using an ongoing process (the auction method)
rather than an instantaneous method. Although one possible reading is
that "conducting" an auction is merely the instantaneous act of
initiating it rather than running it in its entirety, I don't believe
that to be the correct reading. Both the natural language meaning of
"conducting" an auction and pragraph 3 of R2545 (which authorizes the
transfer of assets "as necessary to conduct the auction", likely long
after initiation) suggest that "conducting" an auction is an ongoing
process requiring real-world time.

I believe there is sufficient ambiguity in exactly what the CAN means to
allow the R217 factors to apply. As I am aware of no previous judgements
on the matter, I find, using common sense and the best interests of the
game, that the authorization to "conduct" an auction implies
authorization to perform whatever step of the process is necessary at
that point in time to progress the auction (limited by the explicit
limitations in R2545). This is closest to what is plainly meant by the
text. I further find that the future impossibility of performing a later
step in the process does not invalidate the performance of a presence
step -- such retroactive invalidation would be against game custom.

Considering the general case of a victory auction, the first step of its
conduction is its initiation. This is both implied by the fact that the
auction must start and made explicit by Regulation AM0. However, from
this point on, the victory auction is "ongoing". Rule 2629 only provides
authorization to conduct a victory auction while no victory auction is
ongoing. Since, at this point, the auction is ongoing, no rule provides
authorization to continue conducting it (R2545 only does so while
another rule does so). This means that the victory auction is frozen and
can no longer be conducted using the authorization in R2545, thus
preventing any rules-defined authorizations from being used (whether the
auction can update internal state is immaterial).

This means that the first victory auction to have been initiated since
this issue was introduced is frozen and unable to be advanced, and no
subsequent victory auction could be initiated (since one was still
ongoing). This issue was introduced no later than October 2021 (the last
time either R2629 or R2545 was amended), and so the April Victory
Auction definitely was not validly initiated due to either a victory
auction existing before then or the first victory auction in the
intervening time.

The statement refers to a non-existent auction and is thus malformed.

Judged DISMISS.

}

Evidence:
{
Rule 2545/5 (Power=2)
Auctions

      An auction is a way for entities to give away specified assets
      (items), grouped into lots, in exchange for a currency. A lot is a
      non-empty list of items to be transferred to a single recipient
      (an auction winner).

      When the rules authorize a person (the auctioneer) to conduct an
      auction, e CAN do so by any wholly public method that would be
      generally recognizable, as specified by the auctioneer at the
      start of the auction, and under common definitions and terms used
      in auctions, as a fair, equitable, and timely means of determining
      the auction winners from among the current players, and enabling
      the appropriate exchange of goods. Persons who voluntarily
      participate in an auction (including the auctioneer) SHALL NOT
      violate requirements that auction's method that are clearly
      intended to be punishable as rules violations; doing so is the
      Class N Crime of Auction Manipulation, where N is the class
      specified in the auction method (or 2 otherwise).

      The rule that authorizes the auction further authorizes the
      auctioneer or auction winners to transfer said items as necessary
      to conduct the auction in a manner consistent with the auction
      method. If the authorization is to auction "new" items, it further
      authorizes the creation of said items as per the chosen method.
      The rule that authorizes the auction further authorizes the
      transfer or destruction of currency from persons who have bid
      voluntarily, as specified by the chosen auction method. The
      authorization to conduct the auction does not provide any further
      authorization than that explicitly described in this rule.

      The Treasuror is the promulgator for regulations that define
      specific auction methods (i.e. "the default auction method") and
      SHOULD do in order to aid trade and commerce.  For the purposes of
      interpreting auction definitions, such methods are treated as if
      they are defined in this rule. To further aid trade and commerce,
      auction methods should be interpreted in the name of fairness with
      deference to the method's clear intent, if intent can be
      reasonably inferred.

Rule 2629/1 (Power=1.0)
Victory Auctions

      The Treasuror CAN conduct an auction (a "victory auction") if no
      victory auction is ongoing.  The Treasuror MUST do so at least
      once a month, and SHOULD do so at least twice each month.

      A victory auction includes the following lots:

      * one new Win Card.

      * all of any single type of card or product, currently owned by
        the Lost and Found Department, if any.

      The currency of a victory auction is coins (minimum bid 1).

Rule 2152/9 (Power=3)
Mother, May I?

      The following terms are defined. These definitions are used when a
      rule includes a term in all caps, and provide guidance in
      determining the ordinary-language meaning of a term when a rule
      includes a term otherwise. Earlier definitions take precedence
      over later ones. If a rule specifies one or more persons in
      connection with a term, then the term applies only to the
      specified person(s).

      1. CANNOT, IMPOSSIBLE, INEFFECTIVE, INVALID: Attempts to perform
         the described action are unsuccessful.

      2. MUST NOT, MAY NOT, SHALL NOT, ILLEGAL, PROHIBITED: Performing
         the described action violates the rule in question.

      3. NEED NOT, OPTIONAL: Failing to perform the described action
         does not violate the rules.

      4. "SHOULD NOT, DISCOURAGED, DEPRECATED: Before performing the
         described action, the full implications of performing it ought
         to be be understood and carefully weighed.

      5. CAN, POSSIBLE: Attempts to perform the described action are
         successful.

      6. MAY: Performing the described action does not violate the
         rules.

      7. MUST, SHALL, REQUIRED, MANDATORY: Failing to perform the
         described action violates the rule in question.

      8. SHOULD, ENCOURAGED, RECOMMENDED: Before failing to perform the
         described action, the full implications of failing to perform
         it ought to be understood and carefully weighed.

Regulation AM0/5
Generalized Auction

      Generalized auctions exist to give context to the form of other
      types of auctions. They CANNOT be held directly. Other auction
      methods that use this type of auction as a starting point can
      override attributes of generalized auctions except when it is
      explicitly stated that that attribute is not able to be
      overridden.

      INITIATION: When a person CAN begin an auction by this or any
      derivative method, e CAN only do so by specifying the type of
      auction method to be held, a list of lots to be auctioned off, and
      the currency for the auction in a public message (henceforth the
      "initiation message"). The bidding period starts at this point.

      BIDDING: Players CAN place a bid on an auction in its bidding
      period by creating a public message (henceforth a "bid message")
      specifying an amount of that auction's currency. Players CAN
      withdraw from an open auction by announcement.

      EXCLUSIVITY: Bids in an auction are grouped into classes of that
      auction. Unless otherwise specified, all bids in a given auction
      are in a single class. A bid CANNOT be made if, in the class it
      would be in, another bid already exists with the bid amount of the
      hypothetical bid.

      TERMINATION: The bidding period ends four days after the final
      instance of any of the following events' occurance:
        * the auction begins
        * a bid is placed
        * a player withdraws from the auction

      AWARDING: For each auction, there are a number of awardees equal
      to the number of lots. The Nth lot of an auction goes to the Nth
      awardee of that auction. If the identity of an awardee is
      undecidable, then that lot cannot be given away. Auction methods
      specify how awardees are picked for auctions using that method.

      PAYMENT AMOUNT: The amount that an awardee in an auction is
      required to pay for eir lot is, unless otherwise specified, the
      amount of the auction's curency specified in eir highest bid on
      that auction.

      FUNDED PLAYERS: Derivative auction methods should ensure that only
      players who, at the end of an auction's bidding period, have at
      least as much of that auction's currency as the amount that e is
      required to pay in that auction (hereafter "funded players") can
      be selected as awardees for auctions using that auction method.

      DISTRIBUTION: To distribute lots in an auction is to:
        * publish a reasonably accurate full history of bids on the
          auction and withdrawals from the auction, and
        * for each awardee in that auction, revoke the amount to be paid
          from that awardee and transfer to that player (or grant em if
          the item is new) the set of assets associated with the lot e
          won.

      The Auctioneer for an auction CAN, by announcement within fourteen
      days after the bidding period for an auction ends, and SHALL, in a
      timely fashion after that same point, distribute lots. The message
      in which e does so is the "resolution message" for that auction.

      ACTIVE BIDS: The set of active bids for an auction is the set of
      all funded, non-withdrawn players' highest bids on that auction.

History:

Enacted by Trigon, 08 Aug 2020
Amended(1) by Trigon, 28 Mar 2021
Amended(2) by Trigon, 05 May 2021