Kerim Aydin wrote:
>                                               I would disagree
>with Zefram's choice, and follow the old regulation governing
>amendments,

As I noted, that too would result in a clash.  The old definition was
"the number of times that a rule with that number has been amended".
Repealing a rule and then creating a new one with the same number doesn't
involve any amendment, so the process ends with the same amendment number
that it started with.

>                     Not the least of which, it screws up the
>searchable rules database I'm about 95% finished with.

I reckon it's the renumbering that does that.  I suggest that any
historical database of the rules be keyed on the rules' *original* number,
rather than current number.  There is no duplication or change there.

Proto-proto: renumber 105 back to its original 2131, so that all current
rules have their original number; add a precedence clause to 2131 to
restore the high precedence that the number 105 gave it; enact a Power=4
rule that defines the concept of a rule, and in particular says that
rule numbers cannot change.

-zefram