On 3/23/07, Kerim Aydin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I assign CFJ 1608 to Maud.  Text is here:
http://www.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-official/2007-January/002784.html

I (proto-)judge the statement of CFJ 1608 to be TRUE.

In what follows, ``I'' means I and ``we'' means we.

The Caller suggests that Agoran decisions in general cannot be
adopted.  However, the statement of the CFJ concerns only proposals
with a voting index of Unanimity.  I therefore concern myself only
with such proposals, and remain silent on the issue of whether Agoran
decisions cay be adopted in general.

As the Caller points out, neither ``index'' nor ``unanimity'' is
currently defined by the rules.  We therefore must consider provisions
(3) and (4) of rule 754 to determine the meanings of these terms.

The term ``index'' has uses in mathematical contexts, where it
generally refers to some invariant of a structure used most often to
reduce the comparison of complicated objects to the comparison of
simple indices.  Many but by no means all mathematical indices are
integers or at least algebraic integers.  However, the term ``index''
is not primarily used in mathematical contexts; it definitely is not
primarily used in legal contexts.  Turning to ordinary language, the
major senses include the notion of the list in a book of pointers to
specific topics, arranged for ease of reference as well as the
economic notion of an index, which is often a single number
summarizing a large amount of information.  Both uses of the term are
common, so we may choose whichever term makes the rules make the most
sense.  I find that the rules make more sense when the term ``index''
is interpreted in this second sense, informed by but not constrained
by the mathematical sense of the word, while the rules do not make
sense when the term ``index'' is interpreted in the sense of a list of
pointers.

I accept the Caller's arguments regarding the interpretation of the
term ``unanimity''.  Thus it remains to consider the comparison of a
numerical adoption index with the non-numerical voting index of
Unanimity.  The language of rule 955 (c) makes it clear that the
voting index is generally intended to be the ratio of FOR votes to
AGAINST votes.  All other things being equal, as the number of AGAINST
votes tends to zero, the voting index tends to positive infinity,
which is definitely greater than one or any finite adoption index.  I
find that since rule 955 uses the adoption index as a benchmark for
acceptable ratios of FOR to AGAINST votes, it is reasonable to treat a
comparison of Unanimity (consent of all the voters) with any adoption
index as though it were a numerical comparison of positive infinity
with the same adoption index.  Hence a proposal with a finite adoption
index may be adopted if it achieves quorum and has a voting index of
Unanimity.

--
Michael Slone