Ed Murphy wrote:
Zefram wrote:

On the whole, I'm not convinced that the extra complexity here (over VCs)
is worthwhile.  I'd like to play under the VC system for a while longer.

The combining-beads idea dates back to Steve's Separation of Money era,
at which time there were more units of currency coming and going.  We
could go back to charging for proposing and/or voting; the tricky part
is to charge enough to make it interesting, but not so much that people
get miserly and stop submitting proposals.

I'm not sure if this has been done before but an interesting way of paying for voting goes as such: Each player has x number of votes and can place y votes ( up to x) on any given proposal essentially using up that vote. Then at the end of the voting period the votes are evenly distributed (rounding up or down) amongst those who voted.

that would allow for paying for votes without really losing anything.