Goethe wrote:

The second point, though, is plain old critical mass.  At the time
I joined, the game peaked at perhaps 15 players who were actively
participating plus another 10 who were semi-active.  That's
a vastly different dynamic the current ~10 players. When we dismantled the currency system, the main broken thing (in my mind)
was just too much machinery for too few players.  For the number
of players we have now, the simpler VC concept is probably the
complexity level we want to work with.

"If less than 23 players are registered, then players may spend
any two beads to create an Orange, Purple, or Green Bead."