Zefram wrote:

Ed Murphy wrote:

you're standing, then you must wait till you're assigned something
(switching you to sitting) before opting out of further judicial work.

Sounds unwise.  I think one should be able to opt out at any time.

The concept of a "standing court" suggests an explicitly opt-in
system, hence it's not quite so easy to opt out.

It's also new, and I would consider it interesting without being
crippling.  Under normal circumstances, there are reasonable time
windows in which to opt out.  If the CFJs are flying fast and
furious, or the CotC keeps picking you last and then immediately
publishing a Notice of Rotation (should rename that to Notice of
Musical Chairs or something), then you can negotiate with the
CotC, or attempt to replace em, or simply let your Deliberation
Period run out, or become inactive until things change, or
deregister until next month (in a Writ of FAGE if it's that big a
deal to you).